Friday, May 26, 2006

House Mania

After seeing Insta-BF's living situation, I've become totally obsessed with buying a house.

What? Huh? Yep.

I've been spending at least part of every day in Brooklyn, rehearsing for all my shows. And Insta-BF lives a short walk from the theatre, so I've been crashing with him a lot. He lives in a 3 family house, and the building's owners live on the top floor and rent out the other two floors. When I started thinking about it, I realized that they don't pay anything at all -- the rentals pretty much cover their mortgage payments, and yes, though they do have to worry about taxes, insurance, and maintanance, that's nothing compared to building equity on a property worth nearly a million dollars.

So now I want to do the same thing. And I'm in Brooklyn every day anyway, so it seems to make sense to move there. And I've become completely obsessed with the idea. I'm looking at properties all day, have been calling realtors and loan agents, and have run the idea by my mom (she'd have to be my co-signer--I hardly qualify for a loan of that size on my own). She thinks it's a great idea. Of course that means selling my apartment, but it's way overvalued right now, so it's a good time to sell. And I figure I could bring my two roomies with me, if they're game, just move all our stuff together (one has already said he'd be interested).

Poor Insta-BF has been great. We've walked around his neighborhood, looking at for sale signs and being patient with me as I call every one I see. I've yet to look at a single place, but I'm already itching to move--I have ideas for how to organize the garden, decorate the hallways, everything. And I'm actually leaning toward not organizing my place as much--I mean, if I'm going to move anyway....

A girl can dream, can't she?

6 Comments:

Blogger pookalu said...

i know how you feel!

my parents did the same trek with me when they were here....decisions decisions.

we're all growed up!

May 27, 2006 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i sure wish my parents could afford to do that for me...


must be nice.

May 27, 2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger t said...

Wasn't part of the reason for casting Tall Ted aside the "Suburb Thing"?

May 29, 2006 11:49 AM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

That's a great idea, I think. Good luck with it all!

May 30, 2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger AWE said...

What? You mean that you might actually move out of the city?

Having your own place is the way to go. Good luck on the search.

May 30, 2006 10:43 AM  
Blogger Pretty Polly said...

Um...

Brooklyn (or at least a lot of Brooklyn) is not the suburbs.

May 31, 2006 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home