Thursday, May 04, 2006

It Always Happens When You're Not Looking

When one is single, and lonely, and recently out of a long-term relationship, friends (mostly coupled-up friends) feed you platitudes. My ultimate favorite: "It Always Happens When You're Not Looking." There's nothing more annoying than hearing that from your friends after another date gone awry.

Well, unfortunately, given my (and Dolly's) current situation, I'm starting to think they're right.

Sort-of.

Yes, it's true, I've wanted to take a brief hiatus from dating. And now I've met this awesome guy. And yes, Dolly wasn't going out to the party with me to meet anyone. She's been on a bit of a hiatus as well. So, yes, we weren't looking.

However, we were doing everything in our power to meet the right people. Whether it's a book club, a dating website, or a party, we were out there so that we could be in the right place at the right time. And, as Dolly and I were commenting this morning, it's easy to hang back and chat with the people you know, yet we both make an effort to always talk to new people--male, female, it doesn't matter. So while we "weren't looking," we were still "out there."

9 Comments:

Blogger AWE said...

It's always fun to meet new people. It is hard to do that when you have an agenda. Glad you seem to be enjoying yourself now.

May 04, 2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger pookalu said...

is THAT what i'm doing wrong?

May 04, 2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger Sandra Dee said...

I'm tired of the stale phrase also -- and I'm coupled up! I was out there, too when I was looking, so I suppose I can't use that line, eh? :)

May 04, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

It's so true. As long as a person isn't holed up in their bedroom then there is always the possibility of meeting someone:)

May 04, 2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I agree, but I don't usually refer to my breaks as hiatuses. I usually refer to them as dating sabbaticals. It implies i'm working on something productive in the meantime.

May 04, 2006 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..."dating sabbaticals".
I have to adopt that phrase. Clever!

May 04, 2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

It's great to have a wingman/woman.

May 05, 2006 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who has seen you girls in social action, I totally get what you mean. You girls have no fear when approaching people, and I think that's a great asset to have.

May 08, 2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger James said...

Why can't I help but imagine those first few paragraphs in Sarah Jessica Parker's voice?

May 09, 2006 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home