Monday, August 07, 2006

A..... date?

Interesting weekend. Friday, after catching up with some of you (you know who you are), I hit the singles scene, for the first time in 6 months, pretty much. Yikes! It was interesting, to say the least, but nothing aside from two mildly annoying incidents.

Bachelor #1 was a wannabe hipster at a wannabe hipster bar. He sat down next to me and we chatted for about 10 minutes. He was telling me how "beautiful, smart, and funny" I was (no, I didn't take him that seriously) when his friend, a crass not-so-little thing, came in demanding to know where Raymond was. Bachelor #1 said he didn't know.
"He was just here," she whined.
"I know he's here somewhere. Did you check the back?" replied Bachelor #1 calmly.
"Well he just sent me a text message...."
As it seemed clear this conversation would go on for a while and I really didn't care for (a) being ignored and (b) whiney screaming in my ear, I got up to chat with my friends, thinking that Bachelor #1 would retrieve me when his conversation was done. He didn't.

Bachelor #2 (totally gorgeous, btw) was at my fav country-western bar (yes, they do exist in Manhattan) with an adorable southern girl. I assumed they were together, and when the young lady in question started singing along with me to "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" we started up a conversation. When she left to go to the bathroom, he informed me that no, they were not together -- and then proceeded with some hard-core flirting. When the girl returned she seemed pissed (she obviously had her sights set on him) and announced that they were leaving and trounced out of the bar. Bachelor #2 kissed my hand and said "maybe he'd see me around." He didn't ask for my number, but I did give him the name of my show. Perhaps he'll surprize me there? I'll be sure and hold my breath.

Love that NYC singles scene. Though I am in better shape for it -- 4 days of hiking and a 24-hour bout of altitude sickness in which I could keep nothing down (figure out where I went yet?) has added up to a 10 lb loss. Best diet ever! I even bought a cute skirt at Banana Republic and am down a dress size (unless they've increased their sizes again).

So, everything's all set for post-work drinks tomorrow with Tall Ted. Ostensibly to "catch up." He doesn't know of my new status (last he heard I had a bf, IBF, of course,) but I suspect that he suspects. I'm reluctant to call this a date--I don't think I'm quite ready to date yet, and I'm not sure that hopping into something with TT is the greatest idea either, especially since I've already turned him down, but it will certainly be nice to have drinks with someone who clearly thinks I'm something special, regardless of romantic intentions or the lack thereof.

Polly is definitely back "out there."

7 Comments:

Blogger pookalu said...

damn bachelor #2. damn him. well, damn bachelor #1's whiney friend.

here's cheering for bachelor #3, even if he isn't tall ted!

August 07, 2006 7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear you're back out there! :-)
btw where in south america did you go, me planning to go there someday (hopefully soon!)

August 08, 2006 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back in the saddle! sorry to have missed the get together over the weekend. Next time for sure!

August 08, 2006 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You know David Allen Coe.

August 08, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Damn It Anyway said...

She's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

August 09, 2006 1:13 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You go girl! Welcome back to the game :-)

August 09, 2006 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So- how did it go with TT?

August 11, 2006 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home