Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The House

So MF and I have been emailing back and forth, trying to set plans for drinks--but it doesn't seem to be happening, yet, our schedules don't seem to jive. But I haven't had time for dating much, because I've been dealing with my new house!

I bought an almost-Brownstone (it's a wood frame house, built in 1910, that is the shape and size of a 3-story Brownstone, but technically isn't) on the Greenpoint/Williamsburg border. Well, the mortgage company bought it, so I owe them my life for the next 30 years (and my parents are co-signers--no mortgage company is going to give a sporadically employed actress a loan of that size).

I really didn't realize what an undertaking this would be (naive, I know) -- Dolly, listening to my daily stresses, already says she never wants a house! And all my other friends are patient, but I think sick of hearing me talk about it.

We got a deal because it's a dump. Seriously. No significant upgrades in 50 years, at least. The layout is god-awful, nothing seems to work right, the usual really old New York building problems. But it has major potential. A huge garden (20 x 60!!!). 3 stories, so 2 rental units, to pay the mortgage off. And once I spend 100k on all the improvements (right?!?), it'll be gorgeous. It even still has the original Blustone sidewalk outside.

Brownstoner is my new blog crush. Hope you guys don't mind if I share my house-woes (along with my dating woes) here!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jamy said...

Congratulations! I'd love to hear house stories. Does this mean I can stay with you next time I vist NYC? ;)

August 30, 2006 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the house! When do you move?

August 30, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger AWE said...

Congrats on the new house. I had mine built and it is a headache compared to renting, but it is worth it. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to restore one.

Is this going to help or hurt your commute?

August 30, 2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Pretty Polly said...

Jamy--yes, of course!!!

Kristin--not till the construction is done, a month at the earliest. :( And I still have to sell my apartment...

Awe--well, it's a LOT closer to my theatre company, so that's a major plus....

August 30, 2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger Sandra Dee said...

Hooray for houses!

August 30, 2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

Congrats on the new purchase!!

August 31, 2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

YAY! So excited for you. It sounds awesome and maybe it will be fun to fix up:)

August 31, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Can I live in one of your rentals? I'll give you my hands for a hammer!

We should do something while we still live in the same hood...

September 08, 2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger Downtown said...

Plan a housewarming party. You always get lots of fun Crate and Barrel stuff. Not to mention stocking up the liquor cabinet.

So jealous of you and your new ownership.

September 08, 2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Wanderlusting said...

Welcome to the Mortage At A Young Age Club!

I too just bought myself a new place...well, the bank owns half and my parents also co-signed for it. And I too will be paying for the next 20-odd years or so.

But the fact is, it's yours! It's yours for as long as you want (or until you go bankrupt) and even though it may be a "dump" (my apartment is a teeny weeny studio), hey, it's YOUR dump.

Enjoy!

September 20, 2006 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home