Monday, April 03, 2006

Eye Gazing Too!

So, as Dolly said, Thursday we went to our first ever eye-gazing party. It was an interesting experience, to say the least.

After plying ourselves with excessive amounts of alcohol, we sat down and were forced to gaze into the eyes of ~12 strangers, for two minutes each. Great music played in the background, which made the process easier, but it was certainly uncomfortable, especially in the beginning. I, of course, had a perpetual case of the giggles and did a lot of smiling with my partners. Some men were okay with that--others were not. At one point, when Dolly and I started cracking up, the fellow I was gazing with snapped at me, saying "It's not going to work if you're laughing!" Well, sorry, buddy, for having a good time! The rest of our gazing didn't go so well after that.

It was strange how different looking to each person's eyes was. One guy was so adorably nervous, the whole time I was gazing at him I was sending him "Calm down, it's alright" vibes. Another guy had been doing this for a few months and was super into it--and seemed to love gazing into everyone's eyes. Another disturbed me with his nearly imperceptible (but still noticable) lip movements. I got the feeling he was thinking about doing not nice things to me--somewhat inappropriate! And of course there were the good experiences too, a few guys that I really liked gazing at.

I did have fun, but at the end of the gazing we moved into the "mingling" part of the party--and here's where I felt things didn't go as well as they could. Since the structure of the party was so similar to speed dating, I guess I expected a similar ending--you can talk to people if you want, but if that hot guy you connected with leaves early, you still have a chance to "match" with him. But there were no score cards, no matches, so it was really a free-for-all at the end--and the two guys I really liked were talking to other women, and I'm not really the aggressive type, so c'est la vie. Dolly ended up talking to a cute actor, so of course Willow and I chatted up his friend. He seemed all right--tall, a musician, very polite (during the eye-gazing he moved his head so the light wouldn't be shining in my face--what a gentleman!). Somehow he got me to call his phone so we could hear his ring tone--which, uh oh, means he has my number. He did give off a bit of a creepy vibe. Not too much, but a bit--which was strange, because the actor Dolly was talking to seemed sooooo normal.

Of course the musician just called. His message was so cute--he was so clearly nervous, stuttering a bit, didn't know what to say. I have such a weakness for utter lack of game, I don't know why. But his vibe was a little off. What to do? Should I call him back?

8 Comments:

Blogger Dolly said...

Go for it. If it's fun, then you'll be happy you gave him a chance. If it's a horror show, then you'll have a good story for us! ;)

April 03, 2006 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - it can't hurt to give him a shot, and if nothing else, it's always blog fodder. Nothing ventured right?

April 03, 2006 4:24 PM  
Blogger AWE said...

Give the guy a break.

I couldn't do the gazing thing.

April 03, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Sandra Dee said...

I have it bad for guys without game, too. There's something very flattering about them being nervous around you. Go for it!

April 03, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

I also agree! I am a big proponent of second chances. There is always stress with first impressions, and sometimes people can give off a wierd vibe at first, but be normal once you get to know them.

April 04, 2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger pookalu said...

hey, don't worry about what if's...just do it! i'm also a sucker for the "no game" thing.

very endearing.

well, within reason.

April 04, 2006 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be totally flustered with an eye gazing party. Only in New York. I've never heard of anything like that before.

I like that he has 'no game'. It's endearing. I say go. Definitely. Might as well see this thing out and get your money's worth from the party.

April 04, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger NotMiranda said...

What a concept! I think I'd be much better at that than at having to make small talk with strangers. : )

I say give the musician a call!

April 06, 2006 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home