Tuesday, March 28, 2006

My date with Blackout Boy

I arrived at the agreed-upon bar about 10 minutes late. Not what I had wanted to do (my plan was to arrive early and let him find me), but my rehearsal ran over. As I walked through the long, narrow bar, I feared the worst. I'd make a fool of myself, walk right by him, do something stupid and the date would never recover (I couldn't help but remember one disasterous date, when both of us showed up early and sat across the coffee shop for nearly an hour without realizing the other was there. Ug.).

I spotted a fellow sitting alone, and as I walked by he said "It looks like you're looking for someone." Clearly this was him. "I'm looking for you," I replied. "Blackout Boy?" We sat and talked for the next two hours.

He gets high points for manners. He rose to greet me, offered me the "cushioned" seat even though he was already sitting there (I declined), paid for our first round, and when I attempted to pay for the second round but was told by the bartender that they didn't take credit cards (I had no cash) he smoothly walked over to the bar and handed her a $20, no questions asked.

But I know what you're all wondering: is he cute?!

Honestly, it depends. I swear! It's the strangest thing. When he stands up, he is. He's very tall and looks nice and svelte. But somehow, when sitting, his flaws, nearly invisible when he stands, appear (like I'm one to judge). He somehow looks slightly dumpy--which is totally not the case at all! I don't get it.

The conversation was good, but he's such (as Dolly says) a normal. Typical suburban guy, moved to the city to work in finance and make $$. Has potential, and the manners thing scores him loads of extra points, and we did have a good chat. No love connection yet, but I'm not ruling out the possibility.

He walked me to the subway (of course--good manners!) and we parted with a hug. "We should do this again sometime," he offered. "I'd like that," I replied. We'll see if he calls!

12 Comments:

Blogger Horse said...

Are you normally really hard on guys when you first meet them?

I'm really critical of girls that I'm considering for a serious relationship, but they usually grow on me.

Golly, Polly; that's exactly how I would have reacted. So funny :D

March 28, 2006 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Horse,
I'm trying not to be rude, but are you some kind of sexual anthropologist. It's a little disturbing how much your trying to pump these innocent bloggers for information. Sorry, but there's something creepy about it, like you're using them to find out about human nature without genuinely interacting with them. It comes off as phony and a wee bit disturbing.

March 28, 2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Horse said...

anon: I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe I should leave these girls alone.

From the way you write, you seem like you would have a lot of credibility around these parts, so I will answer your questions to the best of my abilities:

I am not some kind of sexual anthropologist. I'm a guy working in a cube who has a fast connection and quick hands.

I'm a curious person, and I ask a lot of questions, but I don't have a lot of experience with phrasing them on the internet. I'm surprised it comes across as disturbing how I ask these questions on the internet, because it really seems to go over well in real life.

I am trying to find out about human nature, that's true. I'm not trying to be phony, though. I thought I made it clear how I felt about certain things in earlier posts. That's really me.

I'm trying to interact with you guys through this particular medium, and I'm not really sure what someone who runs an anonymous blog would consider "genuine" interaction.

I didn't intend to put the bloggerettes off, really. Sorry if any of you feel that way.

So, that said...
Polly: I'll be on my way. It was nice knowing y'all. Sorry it wasn't nice knowing me.

March 28, 2006 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I say give him another chance and see if you feel any attraction. You had a good time with him, there was great conversation, and he's a gentleman-- all points in his favor. I say it's worth another shot. If he turns out to be just a friend, he could have hot friends!

March 28, 2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger pookalu said...

i was just about to say what pawlr said, bad posture!

yeah, "normal" doesn't exactly mean thunderbolt, but we'll hold out for hope!

March 28, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Pretty Polly said...

horse,

I don't think I'm being really hard on him--I don't really have any complaint other than we didn't really have an "amazing" conversation--but he's definitely still in the running.

And the cute standing up thing is just weird. I had to write about that (but am not holding it against him).

Don't be defensive! You have a right to your opinion, and anonymous has a right to theirs. No big deal.

March 28, 2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Well...at least it wasn't a bad date. Could've been one of those horror stories that you'd tell your friends about for years to come.

I know what you mean on the stand/sit thing...it's like when they tell us to sit with better posture or to stand taller...makes us look thinner, more poised, etc. There is SOMETHING about it, yes...

March 28, 2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger Dolly said...

I have never encountered the sit/stand phenomenon, but I do hope the guy ends up having enough substance for our Polly. Hard to tell anything on a first date, since some people take a while to open up. Either way, hooray for manners!

March 28, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger AWE said...

Did you ever remember anything about him?

Maybe the deal with him was the clothes that he was wearing. Sometimes if I wear a starched shirt it looks like crap without a jacket when I am standing up.

March 29, 2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I'm with freshman, whether this turns into something or not, keep the contact. He may have other cute, single friends!

March 29, 2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger N said...

I'm leaping on the "slouching" bandwagon!

I'd imagine that on a first date one is subconcsiously looking for faults, anyway. It sounded like you had fun.

March 29, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Downtown said...

Normal = boring. Guys need to at least put out something different than all the other guys, lest they get lost in the fray.

March 30, 2006 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home