Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Meisner Primer

Wow, this is great! Even if I have no dating news, I can share other things in my life now. Like my acting class:

I'm currently in a 2-year Meisner training program. There are a few of these in the city, and I'm in a small, but amazingly good one (at least in my opinion). It's funny, because I've been taking acting classes my entire life at some top notch places (my undergrad is a top program, and I've done a summer intensive at one of the top MFA programs). This is the first time that I actually feel I'm getting real, applicable, training.

The first year of Meisner training really focuses on two exercises. The famous repetition exercise, which goes a little something like this, or at least it did in rehearsal today:
My scene partner: "You look like a gumdrop."
Me: "I look like a gumdrop?"
"Yes, you look like a gumdrop."
"That's not a very nice thing to say."
"That's not a very nice thing to say?"
"You don't understand that?"
"Um, well I guess I understand that.." etc, etc.
The point of this exercise is to force the actor to really listen to what the other is saying. It's amazing how many actors you see on stage that are doing their own thing, so that it doesn't really matter what their scene partner is doing. Not very life-like, huh?

The other exercise, which we've been working on for almost the whole year so far, is the Independent Activity. Now this is harder to explain, but I'll do my best.

There are two people, I'll call them A and B. Every other class you switch, so one class you're A, the next you're B, then back to A, and on and on. Person A has the Independent Activity, while B waits outside, then knocks on the door to come in (there are a few variations of this, but generally B knocks on the door).

A has to craft an Independent Activity with the following requirements:
--It must be difficult to do. In the early stages of class, this might be something nearly impossible like forging a signature perfectly, exactly copying a painting, etc. Later on, the activity can be less difficult, but still has to be hard.
--You must have a simple, specific reason for doing what you're doing. Like learning how to play a song on the guitar to play for your mother in the hospital. If the reason were true, would you do everything you could to get the activity done? At this point we're using "life-altering" circumstances, like a family member's illness/death, or getting a part in a Broadway show.
--You need a personal consequence if you fail, i.e. "I'll break my mother's heart," "I won't be able to go on this trip."
--You need a specific time frame, i.e. 2 hours, 3 hours, etc. If you don't get it done in the time frame, you will fail.

In the meantime, B has to come to the door with an emotional preparation based on their own circumstance, for example, B just got accepted into a 1-month Yoga training program she's been dreaming about going to for years. The circumstance must be very personal to work effectively.

So A is working on their activity and B knocks on the door. And a scene is born. You have two people with different emotional lives--when done well, the result is fascinating.

What's the point of all this, though? Well, the key concept behind the Meisner work is that your attention is always on the "other." A's attention is on their activity, B's attention is on A. This work forces you to really put your attention on something outside yourself--which is great because it forces you to act naturally. You can't "fake" this stuff. It's so easy to "pretend" to do your activity, but we're forced to really do it. Yes, there is a difference.

Anyway, this is my "primer" on the work I'm doing in class. Thought I'd explain it to y'all so when I refer to this stuff in the future, you'll have some clue what I'm talking about....

12 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Brown said...

This is great stuff. My live-action roleplaying games gave me a new insight on acting, pretty much like these exercises do.

A good example is acting in combat. You're not focusing on what you say, but on what the other answers and the flow of your duel and the battle all around.

March 21, 2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger AWE said...

That sounds intense.

I think I am really going to like this new blog because we get to see more of you.

March 22, 2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger Horse said...

Yeah, that reminds me, I have to learn to play the minute waltz backward in under 45 seconds, because that's the exact key sequence that will instruct a technologically advanced race of hostile aliens to spare earth in their galactic conquest. Also I'm the only one that can communicate with them because their alien keyboard only recognizes my DNA. I have 6 hours.

Congratulations on getting into Juilliard.

March 22, 2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger Pretty Polly said...

horse,

that's a brilliant activity. Can I use it in class next week?

March 22, 2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger Horse said...

Seriously? I got a million of em! Here's another one:

I've just discovered that there is a dirty bomb in the Barcelona harbor, which is set to blow in 3 hours, 30 minutes. The bomb switches are activated by a signal that uses the RSA encryption algorithm. Since I don't have time to run the factors, I have to solve Riemann's hypothesis, then decode the signal and shut down the bomb.

I'm glad to hear that you saw a rabbit on the way home.

Use that one!

March 22, 2006 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need help!!! I am in a Meisner 2yr program and we are at the independent activity part. Do you have any activities you did in class that I can borrow? It is so difficult thinking of good ones without loopholes. Thanks.

October 24, 2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger Billychic said...

Meisner is great - best when combined with the teachings of Strasberg.

You gave a good summation of the the repeat exercise...

Glad you're enjoying it.

November 09, 2006 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an intermediate level Meisner student in Los Angeles. The key thing to remember with the activities is that you have to find an activity that is "urgent" and "meaningful" to YOU. So you shouldn't be borrowing other people's activities, but find one that is of meaning for you as a person. And then DO IT! THE FOUNDATION OF ACTING IS THE REALITY OF DOING! Also, with the activities, Sandy Meisner said to avoid "extremes" because they aren't "truthful". So the alien keyboard, DNA, galactic conquest blah blah....wouldn't be a good activity, because extreme situations like this would cause you to "overact" in a potentially unbelievable situation. A better activity would be that there is that your house is in foreclosure and you cannot afford the payment of 1500 dollars to get yourself out of this situation. HOWEVER, there is a piano competition that pays 2000 dollars to the pianist who can complete the minute waltz the fastest, with the most accuracy. Make sense?

June 22, 2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I stumbled across your blog when researching 'activities and doors' for my Meisner class.
I really liked your post, so Im wondering if you have any further pieces of information, links, sites, or even your own notes that you could share to help a fellow Meisner student out?
Cheers.

March 10, 2010 1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently also studying this type of technique and i can see that it is preferred to have a physical activity during the repetition... could there also be a mental type of activity? like a rub-ix cube or the metal ring activity's where you have to separate the two metal rings. this may help a person get out of their head if they are thinking to much about what to say and what they are doing.. the point of the activity is to make this a second nature.

April 26, 2010 3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

where did Acting Blonde go ?
your last post was 2006?

I am currently a meisner student in capetown, south africa

Id love to know your story & how its unfolded now..

mail me: iaminbox@gmail.com

enjoy! and keep on going..

Leighton

October 08, 2010 11:08 AM  
Anonymous PUA Training said...

Good explanation. Not sure i get it 100% but would be interesting to perhaps see a video of it...

April 25, 2011 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home