Friday, March 10, 2006

Bad Students

Ug. My entire acting class just got reamed, just as we leave for spring break.

We've been working on scenes, and we are all exhausted. This work is so emotional--breaking down 2-3 times a week takes its toll, and it's hard as well--our teacher expects so much of us and won't accept anything less than our personal best, every day. Since we're all so tired, we've let the "independent activity" go by the wayside. Today was our first day back doing the independent activity. Ug. It sucked.

I was the person at the door today. So my scene partner was doing her activity, and I'm knocking on her door, because I need something from her (Today I needed to borrow her French Berlitz tapes). Usually the person doing the activity is doing something pretty strange, and we have to respond to each moment, what they're doing. And I was dropping moments left and right. One of the first things she says to me was "You look creamy." I responded with "Are you doing aerobics?" (she was dressed in an aerobic outfit). NO! I should have responded to her "creamy" statement. Who says that? What a strange thing to say. I needed to respond to her strange statement, before moving on to the aerobics. Ug.

I wasn't the only person who sucked. Most people did better than I did, but there wasn't a lot of good work--and we certainly heard about it at the end of class. Aii!

Our teacher wants us to think about wheather we're prepared to work. "Being an artist takes everything," she said. If we can't do the work, she doesn't want us in the class!

When she dismissed us, everyone just sat around, in silence, in their chairs for a good 10 minutes. We didn't know how to react. What a crappy feeling.

But, good news, we switched scene partners--I'm with one of the best guys in the class--he's completely open, available, great to work with. Should be exciting....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home